Digital advertising brings a higher level of targeting thanks to the collection of data from online users in real time and the ability of mobile technology to reach customers whenever and wherever they are. So, what is digital advertising and how does it work ?
What are the main types of digital advertising ?
Here is a summary of the main types of digital marketing:
- Search Engine Advertising (SEA): this is paid referencing in the form of advertising on search engines. You can buy keywords at a keyword auction and optimize your presence in the result list.
- Social ads: advertising on social networks. It can be very targeted, thanks to the power of harnessing consumer data.
- Display: the purchase of digital media outside of search and social media. It includes traditional banners, programmatic advertising and video.
- Native advertising is the least intrusive since it often takes the form of an article inserted on a page. A discreet and effective way to promote your brand while informing the Internet user.
E-commerce : what about sponsored products ?
There are several reasons why advertisers might choose to use sponsored product advertising on a e-commerce :
- Increased visibility: sponsored product ads can help products stand out from the competition and increase their visibility to shoppers. On e-commerce platforms with many sellers offering similar products, sponsored product ads can be a way to get noticed and generate more clicks.
- Targeted advertising: by bidding on specific keywords and targeting ads to specific audiences, advertisers can ensure that their sponsored product ads are being shown to the right people at the right time. This can increase the likelihood of a shopper making a purchase.
- Cost-effective: sponsored product advertising on e-commerce is typically charged on a cost-per-click basis, meaning that advertisers only pay when someone clicks on their ad. This can be a cost-effective way to advertise products and generate sales.
Overall, sponsored product advertising on e-commerce can be a powerful tool for increasing visibility, driving sales and generating new revenue streams for advertisers.
It can be a challenge to manage sponsored product advertised on e-commerce platform where multiple sellers can offer their products for sale versus an e-commerce site. Using special tools to navigate the unique challenges of e-commerce advertising, such as managing multiple advertisers and optimizing ad placement is definitely a good idea.
The benefits of digital marketing in general
Digital marketing will allow you to push your advertising messages to the right people thanks to known criteria: gender, professional category, place of residence, tastes, purchasing behaviour, etc. In this sense, social networks are ideal for targeting hyper-specific audiences.
This type of advertising is also more based on the search intention of internet users who go through the engines to seek information and make purchases. Finally, it has flawless traceability, unlike its paper forebears, in the press or on outdoor displays. As a result, you can view precise data on its efficiency, performance and return on your investment.
The explosion of worldwide internet use has disrupted the economy with now global competition, digital advertising is carried out 100% online. In 2020, digital advertising was estimated to reach 50% of advertising investments for the first time. In the UK alone, spending on digital marketing grew to £25.84 billion in 2022. One of the primary advantages of digital advertising is that it offers a wide variety of channels and formats.
Whatever the medium, advertising aims to publicize a product or service, promote a brand and ultimately convince a target to buy. How? By formulating a powerful, persuasive and suggestive message and relaying it on a more or less large scale to the target audience. Today, digital advertising is everywhere and used by all companies to develop their turnover.