Digital signage is an increasingly important component of any customer engagement strategy. With the growing popularity of mobile phones and QR codes, it’s important to consider how they can be incorporated into your digital signage plan to provide an enhanced customer experience.
In this article, we’ll explore the potential of using QR codes and mobile technology with digital displays, including what QR codes are, the benefits of using them, and how to create effective QR codes for your digital signage experience. We’ll also discuss how mobile technology can enhance customer engagement, and share some tips on what makes a successful digital signage plan.
Understanding QR Codes
A QR code (or quick response code) is a type of two-dimensional barcode that can contain text, numbers, URLs, or other data. They are most commonly used in marketing campaigns as a way to quickly provide customers with information, such as website links, contact details, coupons, or product information.
QR codes can be scanned using a smartphone camera, which then unlocks the information stored in the code and triggers a desired action (such as viewing a website or downloading a coupon).
Brief History of QR Codes
The first QR code was invented by Denso Wave in 1994 for use in the automotive industry.
Since then, the use of QR codes has spread fast and every industry finds their ways to incorporate them into their marketing efforts. The most common use of QR codes is to provide customers with quick and easy access to digital content, such as websites, videos, PDFs, and more.
In recent years, the use of QR codes has grown significantly, as businesses have started to use them in innovative ways, such as to provide product information, loyalty rewards, or discounts.
Role of QR Codes in Digital Signage
QR codes are a great way to incorporate digital signage into your customer experience strategy. By adding a QR code to a digital signage display, customers can quickly and easily access additional information or offers without having to type in a long web address or search for the information themselves.
This can help to keep customers engaged with the brand, and make their experience more interesting and enjoyable.
Types of QR codes and how they work
There are two types of QR codes: static and dynamic.
● Static QR Codes: These are the most common type of QR codes and have a static set of information. Once they are created, they can’t be changed. They are typically used for basic information such as website URLs, contact information, or product information.
● Dynamic QR Codes: Dynamic QR codes are more complex than static QR codes and are much more powerful. They can be used for a variety of functions such as customer acquisition, lead generation, customer tracking, and more. Unlike static QR codes, dynamic QR codes can be updated with new information and data. This makes them ideal for tracking customer interactions and campaigns.
QR codes are used to encode and decode digital information. When creating a QR code, you can encode a variety of data, including text, URLs, contact information, and even images. The amount of data stored in a QR code is typically between 25 and 4,000 characters.
When a QR code is scanned, the data stored in it is decoded and can be used to access a website, provide additional information about a product, or track customer interactions.
Digital Signage and Mobile Phones
Mobile technology is becoming increasingly important in customer engagement, it allows customers to interact with brands in a digital environment, e.g.via QR codes.
By incorporating mobile technology into your digital signage planning, you can provide customers with a more interactive and engaging experience. Some examples of how mobile technology can be used in digital signage include:
● Digital couponing: Mobile coupons can be used to encourage customers to purchase products or services.
● Virtual and augmented: Customers can receive more information about goods or services by using augmented reality.
● Mobile apps: Mobile apps can be used to provide customers with a more interactive experience.
Benefits of Using QR Codes in Digital Signage
Using QR codes in digital signage has many benefits, including:
● Increased engagement with customers: QR codes can help to keep customers engaged with the brand, as they are easy to scan and access.
● More information: QR codes can provide customers with more information, such as product details or offers
● Improved customer experience: Using QR codes in digital signage can help to create a more interactive and enjoyable experience for customers.
How to Implement QR Codes and Mobile Phones in Digital Signage
Integrating QR codes into your digital signage strategy requires careful planning. First, determine which information you want customers to access when they scan the code. This could be additional product information, a company website, or even a coupon or special offer. Once you’ve identified the desired content, you can create a QR code and add it to your digital signage.
Optimising mobile content for digital signage requires a few simple steps. First, make sure that the content is optimised for mobile devices by using smaller file sizes and shorter
loading times. Additionally, make sure that the content is engaging and relevant to your customers. You should also consider using geolocation technology to deliver tailored content to customers in specific geographic areas.
QR codes and mobile phones are increasingly being used in digital signage:
● A major airline used QR codes and mobile phones to provide customers with access to exclusive travel offers.
● A fashion retailer used mobile phones to provide personalised product recommendations to customers based on their purchase history.
QR codes have become an essential tool for businesses looking to engage their customers. From providing product information to tracking user activity, QR codes offer a variety of benefits for businesses. As businesses continue to explore the possibilities of using QR codes in their marketing campaigns, understanding how to effectively use them is essential for staying ahead of the competition.
QR codes are an incredibly versatile and cost-effective tool for businesses, and the use of them is only likely to continue to grow.