Driving Value Added Services & Content|Billing & Engagement In Motion|Minutes, Messages & Traffic That Pays|Engage & Commercialize Connected Consumers|Making Interactive Media Pay|Billing & Alternative Payments That Convert|Mobile Strategies For Merchants & Content Owners|Monetising Premium Content & Services
MACROKIOSK BoldPay
DOMOCO Report - Middle East

OPINION It’s a match! Dating apps and carrier billing tie the knot

0

Online dating apps are now mainstream and widely used… and that presents a massive direct carrier billing (DCB) opportunity. Here Ollie Allum, Commercial Manager at Fonix outlines why dating is so hot right now and what it means for DCB.

With 1 in 3 relationships starting online, dating apps are well and truly established as part of modern day life. Online dating has been around since 1994 when kiss.com was launched, shortly followed by match.com in 1995. Conversely, dating apps are a lot newer, the first app of significance was Grindr, which was released in 2009. Grindr’s success was attributed to the freedom it gave the gay community and consequently became popular quite rapidly.

Having free dating apps in their pocket allowed singletons to be much less committed when it came to which dating apps they interact with, many people have more than one app downloaded. Some people are using as many as four apps at one time.

Gone are the times of having to pay a subscription just to send a message; this has been replaced by the freemium model widely used in the market today by the likes of Tinder, Bumble or Coffee Meets Bagel. Extra features can either be bought individually or a subscription to access all premium features, which usually consist of: unlimited swipes or likes, extra super likes and more control over who users see and who sees them.

Tinder really brought dating apps for the mass market and has grown significantly since launch, just this year Tinder replaced Netflix as the top grossing app on both the Apple App Store and the Google Play store.  Around 70 percent of Tinder’s revenue is from subscriptions; the other 30 percent is a combination of add on features, and a small amount from advertising, showing the true power of subscription value added services.

When it comes to converting consumers from free users to premium users, understanding the way in which users interact with the service is imperative to knowing how to capture the audience’s attention for a premium service.

Many users interact with dating apps in a casual way, 44% said they use Tinder as a procrastination tool and an ego booster. The peak times of use indicate that consumers are most frequently interacting with the app at quiet times throughout the week, such as Sunday or Monday evenings, between 8pm and 9pm, and once they have arrived at work and settled down (around 10 am).

So therein lies the challenge of converting casual users to paying customers.

So what can you do to improve dating apps?

Dating apps are the epitome of convenience; no more dressing up and leaving the house in hopes of scouting a date, now that can be completed from the comfort of your living room.
Dating apps are accessible anywhere ay anytime with an even bigger scope of potential dates. This convenience should extend to the payment process as well.

Direct carrier billing is a slick payment process that charges the payment direct to the consumer’s mobile phone bill. The only thing that users have to do is enter their mobile number, then enter the pin they receive via text and …done! instant access to premium dating features. Product and payment all on one device: the ultimate convenience.

The ease of carrier billing allows for impulsive micro-purchases, perfect for the average dating app user leisurely scrolling in the evenings as well as those serious about finding love.

Keep it casual, without the hassle of entering lengthy card details. The addition of a carrier billing payment option boasts up to 3 times as many conversions.

Share the love with direct carrier billing.

HEAR ALL ABOUT THE STATE OF DATING AND CARRIER BILLING FROM SIMON CORBETT FOUNDER OF INDUSTRY BODY GLOBALDATINGINSIGHTS BELOW

 

Share.

About Author

Paul Skeldon

Editor and content creator for Telemedia – for 18 years and counting

Leave A Reply